The city and county of Custer are located in the historic Black Hills of South Dakota. The Custer County 1881 Courthouse Museum is housed in the original Custer County Courthouse in Dakota Territory built in 1880-1881. This building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This early Custer County Courthouse served not only as a center for government, but also in early years as a meeting place for church services, socials and community activities. Justice was dispensed from this building for 92 years until it was given to the Custer County Historical Society in 1973. The Historical Society opened the Museum on Memorial weekend in 1976.
THE 1881 CUSTER COUNTY COURTHOUSE was constructed of bricks from a local kiln. It is of Italianate design and was built in 1880 and opened January 1881 in Dakota Territory, eight years before South Dakota became a state. This building was the hub of Custer County development from 1881 to 1974. It has been a Museum since 1976; now dedicated to preserving the history of the area. The Museum has been preserving and displaying Custer County history through the efforts of the Custer County Historical Society with the help of many volunteers. This building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interiors on November 27, 1972.
It takes a great deal of money to keep the 1881 Courthouse Museum open and well maintained. If you would like to become a Friend of the Museum and help us financially, please click on the link below for more information.
The 1881 Courthouse Museum is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization.