Where two cultures meet. Year-round sightseeing & transportation services for any size group (2 min), emphasizing our rich history and cultural heritage. Tour planning and professional guides for custom and private tours, motor coach groups, conventions, and reunions. Exceptional customer service. Free pick up in Rapid City.
The name says it all! We are your complete Black Hills area tour service. Without a doubt, we are a STEP ABOVE the others. So, as you are comparing our tour service with others in the area, we want to make sure that you are comparing "apples with apples" so to speak. Here is a list of what we offer and the amenities that come with our tours:
- Exceptional customer service since 1991
- Very knowledgeable, safety conscious narrating guides
- Great flexibility with tour itineraries
- Great value for your money
- Standard, customized and private tour itineraries
- Clean, well maintained 7 , 12 and 14 passenger vans with PA systems, running boards and great air conditioning and heat
- Extra blankets and umbrellas, step stool and complimentary cold bottled water
- Always flexible with rest stops and photo opportunities
- Smaller tour group sizes for extra flexibility and room
- Free pickup and drop off at any hotel in Rapid City area
- All attraction fees are included
- All 4 major credit cards accepted - no deposit required
- Open year round
- Large group and reunion itinerary planning and booking available
Relax and enjoy the beauty of the area as our experienced guides drive the winding and scenic byways and explore out-of-the-way sights for an unforgettable tour experience! Take just a few minutes to watch our video, and then give us a call or send us an inquiry regarding any of the tours we offer.
We offer a variety of standard tours; however, custom tours are our specialty. If there is something else you would like to see just let us know, and we will make that happen.
We will pick you up at your Rapid City hotel around 8:30 am, or outlying areas subject to an additional fee. Your tour will be narrated by knowledgeable, courteous and professional guides. There are sound systems in each of our larger vans so you won’t miss a thing.
The length of tours and prices are included in each individual tour description to the right, which do not include guide gratuity. (If the tour runs substantially over the allotted time additional charges may apply.) We accept cash, personal and Travelers Checks, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. The parking and attraction admission fees are included in this price as well. If we have at least 2 adult fares we will schedule your tour. If you are a single traveler, we will make every effort to find traveling companions for you. Private tours are also available with prices assigned individually.
We will stop at lunch time to give you time to buy your refreshments (cost of meals not included). We provide coolers with complimentary cold bottled water and you are welcome to bring snacks if you like. Since we do only smaller tours we can be more flexible, so we can stop for an extra picture or bathroom break as needed.
Here is a list of the tours we are currently offering:
- Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Custer State Park Wildlife Loop Tour (9-10 hours, $135 per person plus tax)
- Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Black Hills Tour (6-7 hours, $105 per person plus tax)
- Mt. Rushmore and the Black Hills Tour (4 hours, $65 per person plus tax)
- Custer State Park Wildlife Loop and the Needles Highway Tour (7-8 hours, $110 per person plus tax)
- Mt. Rushmore Night Lighting Program (3 hours, $40 per person plus tax)
- Crazy Horse Laser Light Show (4 hours, $55 per person plus tax)
- Northern Black Hills Tour (Deadwood, Lead, Spearfish Canyon) (7 hours, $115 per person plus tax)
- Badlands and Wall Drug Tour (7 hours, $125 per person plus tax)
- Rapid City Tour (4 hours, $60 per person plus tax)
- 1880 Train Tour (6-7 hours, $115 per person plus tax)
- Devil's Tower Tour (8 hours, $145 per person plus tax)
- Pine Ridge Reservation Tour (10 hours, $240 per person plus tax)
- Buffalo Roundup Tour (10 hours, $95 per person plus tax)
- Cave Tours - Wind Cave (5.5 hours, $135 per person plus tax)
- Cave Tours - Jewel Cave (5.5 hours, $135 per person plus tax)
Custom tour combinations can also include the Mammoth Site, Bear Country, Reptile Gardens, Gold Panning, and other area attractions. Please contact us for details and pricing.
ABOUT LIN AND ANN THOMPSON AND THE AFFORDABLE ADVENTURES TOUR COMPANY
Affordable Adventures was started in 1991 by Carol and Doug Cameron. Some of their first tours were to the Dances with Wolves filming areas. They expanded the business to include several other areas of interest in the Black Hills with set itineraries and custom van tour packages as well as receptive and step-on guide services for motorcoach groups. The narrated tours featured history, geology and local lore and information. Upon their retirement Ann and Lin Thompson purchased the business, striving to carry on the high standards set by the Camerons.
Ann Delicate Thompson grew up in the Black Hills and has spent a majority of her time living and working here. She has a Business Management degree from the University of Wyoming. Her father, Don Delicate, worked for Homestake Mining Company for 31 years, retiring as the General Manager of the mine. Her paternal grandfather had a bank in Custer for 56 years and both parents grew up in Custer. Her great-grandfather arrived in the Hot Springs area in 1879 and helped establish the town. Ann enjoys history and loves to share the wonderful Black Hills of South Dakota with others. She has conducted narrated tours since 2001 with her extensive knowledge and personal stories, which add fun and excitement to her tours. Ann's warmth and sense of humor make each excursion a day to remember.
Lin Thompson is a native of Yankton, South Dakota, located in the southeast corner of the state where his family owned several businesses. He attended Black Hills State College and graduated with a degree in Tourism and a Business degree from Sioux Falls University. He has been conducting narrated tours of the Black Hills for several years since retiring from the South Dakota Army National Guard and has a wonderful knowledge of the history of South Dakota and the area. Lin's calm spirit and ease of visiting with people make his tours fun and exciting.
As the business has grown Ann and Lin have recruited additional guides, all chosen for their knowledge of the area and their enthusiasm for sharing it. The Thompsons take great care in matching individual guides to booked tours, so you can be assured you're getting the best guide available for your group and itinerary. The experienced staff represents a cumulative total of 150 years of experience guiding Black Hills tours.
The customer experience is of utmost importance to all at Affordable Adventures, and it shows.