Founded in 1888 as a resort town, Cascade Springs hoped to become a major railroad stop on the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad. However, because developers demanded too much money for railroad right-of-ways, the railroad decided on another location.
The town gradually declined, with only about 25 residents by 1900. Today, one of two remaining structures, the bank building, is a private residence. The other structure, the banker’s house, sits to the north, away from “downtown” Cascade.