Edgemont Trailhead | Black Hills & Badlands - South Dakota

Edgemont was founded in 1889 as the railroad (Grand Island and Wyoming Central - a subsidiary of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy) base camp on the south side of the Cheyenne River. Several thousand construction workers and associated crews began built the railroad line that is now the Mickelson Trail. In the 1960s and 1970s, miners worked in the Edgemont area seeking uranium ore for nuclear development, but mining the ore was not profitable, so it was discontinued.

Mile Post: 0