Custer is the oldest town in the Black Hills. It was named after Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer whose 1874 expedition discovered gold on the banks of French Creek which was near the present day downtown of Custer. Ten thousand miners flocked to this area to search for riches - the last big gold rush in the United States.
Mile Post: 44.5
0.5 miles to Custer Spur Trailhead
Harbach City Park in Custer, across the street from the Chamber of Commerce.